Categories

Archive

Disclaimer

De meningen ge-uit door medewerkers en studenten van de TU Delft en de commentaren die zijn gegeven reflecteren niet perse de mening(en) van de TU Delft. De TU Delft is dan ook niet verantwoordelijk voor de inhoud van hetgeen op de TU Delft weblogs zichtbaar is. Wel vindt de TU Delft het belangrijk - en ook waarde toevoegend - dat medewerkers en studenten op deze, door de TU Delft gefaciliteerde, omgeving hun mening kunnen geven.

E-deamon

Fluid, Sensor and diagram

Today we worked on getting the heart rate sensor working with the Arduino. A small program was written to check if we could even get input from the heart sensor. (Later, we also tried to get any signal into a digital Arduino pin, this worked well). We suspect the heart rate receiver to be broken.

In addition, today the ordered Ferro Fluid was delivered. After some experiments, we discovered the fluid is soluble with water (!) and in combination with magnets no spikes are created at all. Eventually, we are forced to conclude the concentration of actual Ferro Fluid is too low and probably mixed with water.

These two things are pretty big drawbacks. However, we will continue to look for solutions in the upcoming days.

Next to this a start was made with modeling the system for the combined code (input, translation and output together). This is necessary for convenience of writing the code, as well as efficiency of the program.

To be continued…

Fluid, Sensor and diagram

Today we worked on getting the heart rate sensor working with the Arduino. A small program was written to check if we could even get input from the heart sensor. (Later, we also tried to get any signal into a digital Arduino pin, this worked well). We suspect the heart rate receiver to be broken.

In addition, today the ordered Ferro Fluid was delivered. After some experiments, we discovered the fluid is soluble with water (!) and in combination with magnets no spikes are created at all. Eventually, we are forced to conclude the concentration of actual Ferro Fluid is too low and probably mixed with water.

These two things are pretty big drawbacks. However, we will continue to look for solutions in the upcoming days.

Next to this a start was made with modeling the system for the combined code (input, translation and output together). This is necessary for convenience of writing the code, as well as efficiency of the program.

To be continued…

Delay

Monday morning; with new deployment and good cheer we started today to make some progress.
But…Arduino decided not to work and caused some problems so that the heart rate monitor is not able to work. Everything is slowed down because the computers are not that fast.

Becide Arduino that does not work, the fluids has not arrived yet so we can not work on this side either. We hope that the fluid will arrive today but we do not know for sure. Hopefully we will make some progress today.

 

heart sensor test program

The code below was written to check the functioning of the heart sensor in combination with the heart rate receiver. From here on we can determine default heart rate values as introduction towards a combined program: sensors (input) and magnets/mechanics (output). Comments are in grey.

 

Continue reading

E-Daemon Schematic

This is a schematic view of the experiment of E-Daemon. The sensors measure temperature, heart rate and mind wave activity of a person. This input is sent to the Arduino board. The Arduino translates this to mechanical motion of the Servo arms on which magnets are attached. The ferrofluid will react on the distance between the magnets.
This will display the mood of the person. For example, when the magnets are at a distance from the glass the ferrofluid is not ‘active’  and can be seen as calm.

 

Heart rate monitor

To add another variable to determain the users’ emotion, we want to measure the users’  heart rate. We will do this by using the ‘ Polar heart rate system’ . This includes a normal chest strap used in fitness. To read the pulses use a ‘ polar heart reate receiver’ . Continue reading

Bottled Ferrofluid

This time we took a smaller glass container so the Electromagnet could properly exert it’s force on the ferrofluid within. The bottle is an old perfume container, with thicker and higher quality than the glass container from the previous test. This time we took another precaution, we first rinsed the bottles contents with Glassex, refilling it afterwards before adding the ferrofluid.

Continue reading

Decide which emotions to use, the characteristics and their visualization

For the next step it has been decided which emotions wille be searched for, how these can be measured by the sensors we have and how these can be displayed in the daemon.

 

Continue reading

More efficient code to get LEDs working according to temperature

The previous code was not very neat. For efficiency and modularity it is important to work less with constant values in the main code, but with variables and arrays to adapt and tweak the code more easily later. This will also be easier to test the final prototype in the end. Code is in black and comments are in grey. For the code see below.

Continue reading

Ferrofluid Complications

We’ve come across a couple of complications with the display part of the project. We’ve gotten a glass container, electromagnet(present at the Industrial Design Faculty), A few drops of Ferrofluid and a suspension fluid(In this case simple Windowcleaning-agent:"Glassex". which in theory should work.) Continue reading

© 2011 TU Delft